A place for all things I love...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Baby progress

Oh how time flies when your in love..
or maybe just sleep deprived. ha
Either way our little Kingsley is a couple days away from being a month old! I can't believe we have had him this long, seems like only yesterday he was born. Anyways I better back track to his two week appointment just for the records.
TWO WEEK STATS:

head: 53rd%
height: 22 inches @ 89%
weight: 8 pounds 5 ounces @ 35%

Now I'm sure you don't remember, but when he was born he weighed 8 pounds 11 ounces. When he left the hospital he weighed 8 pounds 6 ounces. Now if you have had a child you may see the problem.. Babies typically lose weight after they are born due to your milk not being in yet & such but are supposed to have gained it back by the time you go in for your two week appointment. Since Kingsley had not gained back his weight our doctor was concerned. I was worried as a first time mom that things weren't going "normally". How did I not know I was starving my baby? He just seemed so happy & content. The concern was that I was not producing enough milk. Since I have never breast fed a baby before I had no clue what it was supposed to feel like when my milk came in or know how much I was producing. All I knew is I was constantly feeding him even though it was super painful since my nipples were cracked & bleeding. (Sorry if that's an over-share) Anyways so our doctor told me to continue nursing him but then to pump after to help produce more milk as well as give him bottles after every feeding to make sure he was getting enough. I did not realize how hard, painful and overwhelming breast feeding would be. That week until our next check up was so rough. I felt like my day was consumed with feeding him & pumping all the while stressing that I may not be able to nurse him due to lack of milk. I broke down a time or two feeling like I have no clue what I'm doing! Not trying to complain, but I want to warn you soon to be mothers so you can be better prepared than I was. So we anxiously went into our next appointment at his three week mark to see if he was gaining weight.
Three Week Stats:

weight: 8 pounds 15 ounces, 43rd%

We were so relieved that he had gained weight and that everything was fine! Kingsley has turned out to be such and easy and happy baby. (In our opinion at least) He honestly only cries if he is hungry or needs a diaper change. He of courses likes to be held but doesn't require it at all as we often can set him down or let him relax on his own. Probably the thing I'm happiest about is his sleep schedule. He will go a 5-6 hour stretch when I put him down at night, eats and then immediately goes back to bed which I am super grateful for. He will totally smile at us when we talk to him which is my favorite. It is also super nice that he loves his binkie & will take a bottle. His only flaw is that he is a diaper killing machine, I swear this kid goes through a million diapers a day! 
He just melts our hearts. :)
 In some ways he may be a little too easy since Jeremy thinks we should have another one quickly so they are a year apart like he and his brother were... Ya he is crazy!! For now I am going to soak in just having one. :)
Jeremy & Kingsley on fathers day.
XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Alex wants another one too because of Zach! Gosh we have a lot in common. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, he is so handsome! Good work on his weight gain! Babies and everything involved with them can be stressful. Hang in there - it sounds like you are doing a perfect job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Breast feeding is really hard and stressful in the beginning, but it CAN be enjoyable eventually. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cassie! Breast-feeding is sooo hard the first time around and I kind of want to punch you doctor for stressing you out! 8.5 is so close to his birth weight you should not have been stressed! All babies grow at different rates and if they are happy and doing everything their supposed to their weight shouldn't be worrying you! Dex hadn't met birth weight at his 2 week and I told the dr I wasn't worried and at his 2 month appointment he was 60th percentile for weight. My first pediatrician with Brig told me something at my 2 weeek appointment that saved my breast-feeding life... he said it take 7-10 minutes for a baby to drain a breast, anything after that is just pacification and then it takes an hour for your breast to refill. If you are feeding your babe and pumping more than that in that time period it can really mess with your milk supply. I lived by his rules for the first couple months cause If I let my babies, pretty sure they'd nurse all day. Sounds like you got a good easy boy, just go with it! Let him tell you what he needs! Not stupid doctors who don't know your baby. YOU know your baby!
    One more equation my first pediatrician gave me... as long as your baby is only breast-feeding their stomachs at maximum capacity can hold (their weight/2) + 1 so both your boobies need to be producing roughly 5.5 ounces to fill little prince up completely!

    okay i'm done with my rant :) can't wait to meet this prince!

    ReplyDelete